Elder Abuse Monitoring
Database Systems Corp. (DSC) develops automated phone systems and provides computer software and consulting services. These products and services are ideally suited for certain community calling applications.
CARE (Call Reassurance) is our automated phone system and software that calls seniors or individuals with limited mobility to check in with these residents to ensure they are OK. One important application of this service is to monitor elderly abuse victims.
CARE phone systems are usually installed at police departments or sheriff's offices. They also have been acquired by community organizations such as Senior Corps whose RSVP programs are staffed with other seniors who volunteer to help other seniors.
What Is Elder Abuse?
"Each year hundreds of thousands of older persons are abused, neglected and exploited by family members and others. Many victims are people who are frail and vulnerable and cannot help themselves and depend on others to meet their most basic needs.
551,011 persons, aged 60 and over, experienced abuse, neglect and/or self-neglect in a one-year period. Almost four times as many new incidents of abuse, neglect and/or self-neglect were not reported as those that were reported to and substantiated by adult protective services agencies." - Sources: National Center on Elder Abuse, Administration on Aging
Examples of Elder Abuse
Elderly abuse can occur in many different fashions. Here are just a few:
CARE can be used to call seniors who are victims of elder abuse, whether through self neglect or abandonment. Calls can likewise be made to ensure that seniors who are under the care of others are being properly cared for and not abandoned or abused by others. CARE programs are most effective when used in conjunction with volunteers who are able to talk with abused seniors.
- Neglect by care-giver or responsible individual
- Financial or Material Exploitation
- Psychological Abuse
- Physical Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
Seniors are typically called once a day to ensure their well-being. This can vary based upon the needs of each CARE subscriber. If the CARE subscriber does not answer the call, our system automatically generates an emergency alert at the CARE operations center and also can contact a concerned family member. The CARE center is updated to ensure a follow-up is performed and that the CARE subscriber is OK.
Contact DSC to learn more about our Telecare phone reassurance systems and services.
The Oxford Park Commission and R.S.V.P.
"RSVP volunteers provide hundreds of community services, ranging from tutoring children, museums, Meals-On-Wheels, nursing homes, income tax assistance, transportation, Triad (seniors and law enforcement working together) and many more stations." - www.oxfordparkcommission.com
The Oxford Park Commission and R.S.V.P. use our CARE (Call Reassurance) phone system to provide its senior citizens with a telephone reassurance service. Citizens can be called daily to ensure their well-being. This system replaced their obsolete RUOK® system.
CARE Phone System Features
Our CARE phone system includes the following features. These same features are also available with our telephone reassurance outsourcing phone service:
- CARE calls are automatically made by a computer with custom recorded messages.
- CARE does NOT require volunteers making phone calls.
- CARE volunteers can be contacted when the CARE subscriber wants to chat.
- CARE recipients can use IVR phone keys to respond.
- CARE subscribers can optionally simply answer the call and hangup.
- CARE calls can be placed at designated times with a CARE Administration scheduler.
- Multiple calls per day per individual can be scheduled.
- Advanced call scheduler allows calls to be skipped during certain days.
- CARE systems feature answer machine detection.
- Calls attempts can be repeated multiple times before notifying CARE center.
- Response center and family can be automatically alerted when there is no answer.
- Response center can be notified by call, email, plus visual and audible alarms.
- Online call reports available giving status of each call.
- Emergency dialing services are available for members of the community.
- CARE systems can be used to perform emergency notification calling.
- Systems support 1-48 analog phone lines.
- Systems can be upgraded to our digital (PACER) phone supporting up to a 1000 lines.
- The CARE computer system is an industrial quality Intel based PC.
- CARE phone systems include INTEL telephony components.
CARE Telephone Reassurance Information
Contact DSC to learn more about our CARE telephone reassurance phone systems.
Are You OK?® Comparison
Telephone Reassurance Programs
Elder Care Calling Service
Telecare Phone Systems
Call Latchkey Kids
Call Verification Service
Elderly Home Care
Senior Care Systems
Reassurance Calling Program